All Studio Grun jewelry is 100% gold plated over brass (earrings are with sterling silver ear posts beneath the gold plate) and use gold filled chains. We use a much thicker gold plate than the industry standard, and once the pieces are plated, a clear protective finish is added to increase its longevity.
Here are a few helpful care tips to keep your jewelry looking its best:
- Remove your jewelry when applying sprays, perfumes, oils, lotions, showering, exercising and swimming.
- To store, keep your pieces in a jewelry box or ziploc when not being worn. This prevents light and oxygen from tarnishing and oxidization.
Studio Grun is proudly nickel free and our gold plated jewelry should hold it’s plating for years if the wearer takes proper care of the piece. That means no lotion, oils and perfume as mentioned above.
- With gold plated rings, be sure to remove them when washing your hands, using any products, and using household chemicals.
- When doing any activities that add additional friction to your hands, such as gardening, using work out equipment, sports, we recommend removing your rings.
*Please note, we do offer re-plating services with a re-plating fee.
Studio Grun uses gold filled chain on all necklace styles and earring threaders. Gold filled is an actual layer of gold-pressure bonded to another metal. Gold filled is not to be confused with gold plating and for that reason it is slightly more expensive than plated or vermeil jewelry, but should not be confused with solid gold jewelry.
Ethiopian opals are porous, which cause them to be very sensitive - please do not wear your opal jewelry during physical activities, using any household cleaners, showering and swimming. Opals are very soft and delicate and require a bit more attention and care than the majority of the stones we use (ie, black onyx).
- Please avoid submerging opals from water (ie, showers, pool, beach, sweat from athletic activities)
- Store your opal jewelry in a sealed plastic bag to protect it from humidity.
Bronze may darken with wear, depending on body chemistry and oils. To avoid a dark patina, please avoid getting your jewelry wet. We suggest a cleaner like "Jax" to restore your piece to it's original luster.
Silver tarnishes a bit quicker. If you consistently wear your silver jewelry, it will prevent any patina. We suggest a jewelry polishing cloth to restore your piece back to it's shine.
Be sure to follow these guidelines & it will help preserve the finish on your SG pieces.